Picai Hutong neighbors Xidan North Street to the east and Taipingqiao Street to the west and is surrounded by a large number of hutongs to the south and north, such as, Banbi Hutong, Nanfeng Hutong, Yunti Hutong, Kua’che Hutong, etc. With its long history and a number of talents, Picai Hutong is quite famous in Beijing.
The history of Picai Hutong can be dated back to Yuan Dynasty. In Yuan Dynasty, there is a temple in the north of Picai Hutong. It’s said that a stone image of Buddha was dug out of the underground of the temple, and that’s why the temple was named Big Stone Buddha Temple, so Picai Hutong was also originally called Big Stone Buddha Temple Hutong. In the early Ming Dynasty, a timber mill was built to store and process timber for imperial authority in the south of Picai Hutong, which is known as Damucang Hutong now. At that time, the poor made timber off-cuts into split timber for selling, thus the Big Stone Buddha Temple Hutong gradually became a widely known timber off-cuts bazaar. And then, Big Stone Buddha Temple Hutong declined day by day, meanwhile, through years of prosperous development, this hutong used to sell timber off-cuts was thus called Timber Off-cuts Hutong. On May 16, 1905, Zang Youchen from Tianjin opened the first private new-style school in Timber Off-cuts Hutong in Beiing. Since then, it officially changed its name to Picai Hutong.
In recent years, with implementing the road widening project, a large number of small hutongs disappeared and Picai Hutong became a four-lane road with the width of more than forty meters and connected the Xidan commercial Street and Beijing Financial Street.
Sponsored by Xicheng District People’s Government of Beijing Municipality
Undertaken by Xicheng District Media Convergence Center
All Rights Reserved